Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Self-confession...

Last night, MLH was out on his lease, working, and was planning on staying in Pecos. Younger Son and I went to meet Sarah and her mom, Rhonda at Chili’s for supper.

We left the restaurant and we were all standing in front of our trucks talking. We heard this noise, and looked at each other like a calf looking at a new gate. The first thing that went through our minds was “Rattlesnake!”, so we all froze.

And then, we got it.

Literally.

In less time than it takes to say "Run!", all four of us were soaked by the automatic sprinklers.

It’s been a long time since I’ve laughed so hard that my stomach hurts, but it does.

6 comments:

beth said...

Oh dear! Though I have to say, freezing and getting wet is better than not freezing and risking the wrath of the evil ones. (I despise crawly creatures.)

That Janie Girl said...

Well, Beth, it's kinda hard to freeze in Midland...but it was a little chilly! And definitely better than running onto one of those snakes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh today!

Okay. I noticed that my post was on Google...the day before.

That Janie Girl said...

Turtle - what do you mean?

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Janie: It's not everyone who would think the sound of those sprinklers coming on is just like a rattler. It says you've definitely heard the real deal.

That Janie Girl said...

Poet - no doubt, you know I have!