Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's dangerous out there!

Friday, after the XTO Energy Halliburton Bustin’ Clay for United Way shoot, I raced home to get my truck loaded. The plan was for me to load up Zack, and head to Artesia to meet MLH. From there, we were going to head to Cloudcroft together for our first field trial of the season.

I get my truck loaded, including Zack, and we head out. At this point, Zack is in the back seat, going from window to window checking out the terrain. I head north out of town towards Andrews, and happen upon this fatal wreck on FM 1788 and Midland Farms Road. (When y’all think about it, please pray for the families of those victims.) When I happened upon the wreck, the authorities and EMT’s were on site. We crept through the vehicles, and continued on to Andrews.

I am traveling west on SH176, into Andrews, and stop at a light. There is a motorcycle going west directly in front of me, and a truck also going west in the left lane. I look ahead, and see a huge lifted truck coming across the lane from the eastbound road. He is going to turn into the car wash, and there is no way he can see the motorcycle – it is hidden by the westbound truck. I’m crying out, “Oh, Lord – oh, Lord!”

Sure enough, the motorcycle and the truck crash, and the helmetless cyclist somersaults onto the pavement, ending up prone and still on the carwash parking lot. I pull up into the parking lot, hit my OnStar emergency button, and get out to render aid. The injured is starting to try to move around.

“Hello, I’m Janie. I’m medically trained…can I help you? You need to be still.” He was breathing okay, his pulse was good. His eyes were watching me, not shocky at all, and he started talking, clearly and lucidly. I felt huge relief.

Another man runs up – he’s a veterinarian. He stays with the injured, while I run back to my truck and get a blanket. I get back to the patient. He asks me, “Will you please pray for me?” I did. He was praying, too. “Lord, thank you for sparing my life”, he said, over and over. He told me he could feel his legs, but that his head and his side hurt. It seemed like the EMT’s were there in seconds, but I don’t know. At one point, I looked up and we were surrounded by onlookers. The injured was cognizant, giving me the phone numbers for his wife and his mom, and onlookers who knew the injured and his family called the wife and parents for him. The EMT’s took over, I gave my card to the authorities, and they released me from the accident scene.

When I got to Hobbs, I tried to call the Andrews hospital, but of course, they couldn’t release any information. I don’t think I breathed until I got to Artesia.

On the way home tonight (another eventful drive, story to follow) I tried to call the injured’s family for an update – and he answered the phone! The hospital had released him Friday night, with stitches in this head, and bandages on his hand. He has not one broken bone, no internal injuries. A miracle, I tell you. I have instant-replayed the accident in my mind, and I am amazed. This young man was excited to hear from me; it seems he and his family canvassed everyone at the wreck and nobody knew who I was. He said, “You’re the lady who was there first, who prayed for me, right? I am so glad you were there, you’ll never know!”


He promised he will wear a helmet from now on. He told me he's going to decorate it with the rocks the EMT's dug out of his head.

I'm thankful that he's okay.

10 comments:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

You never know the effects of prayer...

Bob Westbrook said...

There are 1.5 million recognized traumatic brain injuries every year but many more that aren't recognized till later when personality changes begin to show up. This is how they happen. He's lucky but the family should be carefully observing him. Sounds like he got some sense pounded in his skull and a look at how fragile and precious life is.

That Janie Girl said...

Poet - I know that's true!!

Bob - thanks for the reminder, I should have thought of that! I'll try and reach them and let them know. I may refer them to you.

Eric Siegmund said...

God puts you in these situations for a reason: He knows He can count on you!

scotte said...

sis I don't know very many people who do more miles than you and steve. You and all of us had better be aware. From 5 to 8 am half of the vehicles you meet have been working all nite. DEFENSE
love Scott

That Janie Girl said...

Eric - I didn't feel very effective, but I did what I knew to do.

Scott - thanks for the reminder. I'll drive more defensively. Love ya, too.

Gwynne said...

I was thinking what Eric said...God knows He can count on you. You are a superhero in my book!! :-)

Karen Townsend said...

One lucky young man, indeed. My sister and her husband were hit head on by a truck while going around a curve on a country road on my brother in law's Harley. Neither wore a helmut. They are lucky to be alive. Scary stuff. Everyone should always wear a helmut.

Foo said...

That's some scary stuff, but it's amazing how victims of some of the most cringeworthy accidents walk away with minor injuries.

Turtle and I were driving to a bike rally a couple years ago and were just about to exit the highway. About 5 yards ahead of us, a motorcyclist "lost it" for no apparent reason and went down. The bike cartwheeled one way, and the rider ragdolled another. The following vehicles all got stopped in time, and a couple people quickly hopped out assuming (I assume) the worst. The rider, who also wasn't wearing a helmet, stood up with a little help and limped to the side of the road pretty much under his own power. Amazing.

Meanwhile, a woman we met on a cruise last year recently tripped over an extension cord and fell face first against a door. She's now a quadriplegic.

i beati said...

I love this . What is your relationship to Brave Bob and Cherie?. Are you a medical caregiver or friend or both? I am fighting the ills of cancer and I am so in tune with him