Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Communication is good.

We arrived home from the Metromess (as Foo and Turtle call it) around 6:10pm Sunday. Somewhere in between Colorado City and Midland, MLH remembered we needed to visit the Alltel store since his phone was acting up.

Me: “Dude. It. Is. Sunday. And. Everything. Closes. At. 6 pm.”

MLH: “Um, yeah.”

I drove into Midland, hit the loop, and cruised past Best Buy, breathing a sign of relief. Due to “tax-free weekend”, every parking lot I passed looked like those parking lots the day after Thanksgiving. Packed to the hilt.

And, thank God, Alltel in the mall was open until 8 p.m. They didn't have the phone we needed, sent us to Circuit City to buy the phone, then we had to return to Alltel for the numbers transfer.

$400 later, new phone (and we insured this one),in hand and old numbers transferred over, MLH is ready for yet another day in the remote oil patch. Whew. I hate it when he’s 2 ½ hrs away and experiencing phone trouble. It’s just not safe.

We met Younger Son for supper, then went home and unpacked.

We’re glad to be home…for a mere five days. On Friday, we will host the XTO Energy Halliburton “Bustin’ Clays for United Way” sporting clay shoot out at Windwalker, then leave immediately after for a field dog trial in Cloudcroft. It will be nice to get to cooler temperatures.

Zack the Wonder Dog thinks so, too.

8 comments:

Tricia said...

How did we ever survive the olden days, before there were cell phones to make sure we stayed safe?

You know...the '90's...

That Janie Girl said...

Oh, girl...I know. I remember I my first mobile phone was as big as a shoe. Hilarious!!

Don't you know our parents worried about where their little girls were?

Tricia said...

Oh, I know I gave my mom fits! They were much warranted, though. ;-)

That Janie Girl said...

Um...me, too.

As a parent, I think about that, sometimes...;)

Jeff said...

Janie, maybe it will be drier for this weekend's shoot ... with all that rain last Friday (at the PBLA shoot on 1788), the skeets didn't want to fly, preferring to stay undercover ..... had to get dogs and children to flush 'em ..... at least, that's what I heard.

That Janie Girl said...

Jeff - no doubt. Hopefully it will stay dry for most of the day, anyway!

Anonymous said...

Hm...don't know why Blogger didn't take this, so I'll try again.

We truly enjoyed meeting you two, and we look forward to seeing you again. Foo & I think that a trip out West is a definite possibility.

Janie..just give us a heads up when you're in town!

That Janie Girl said...

Turtle - come on out, girlfriend! Y'all are always welcome!