Monday, February 23, 2009

Q&A from Texas Red!

Texas Red flung an interview upon me. So, here goes the answers to her questions. And man. She went a little deeper than the most!


Her questions (and my answers) are as follows:

(1) When and why did you join the oilfield industry? Well. Hmmm. I didn’t join with any set purpose – kind of hard to believe now, huh? Oil and gas is a major industry in West Texas. I was raised an oilfield brat. And when a job came available as an office manager, I took the job. My son was 2 years old…so that was 26 years ago! My, how time flies when you’re having fun! I soon was promoted to sales, and promoted, and promoted and here I is. Even in it’s worst cyclical nightmare, I love the oilfield. It’s never boring, always changing, and full of awesome people.


(2) What does your typical weekday look like---posting on the blog; lots of phone calls; meetings; travel in the field, etc.? Mondays, I drop breakfast by a customer’s office by 7 a.m., then spend most of the morning on conference calls with my staff and fellow coworkers…starting at 9am, it’s the sales call; morphing into the 10 am accounts receivable call. Meanwhile, my friend Daniel comes and steals LaToya the Sequoia for her weekly carwash. Some Mondays, I’ll then go meet another oilfield salesperson at Starbucks to trade opportunities and information (that’s how this patch works, it’s all about networking.) At 11:30, I’ll be at a customer’s office to pick them up for lunch. After lunch, I spend most of the afternoon collecting invoices, fielding calls from consultants, making sales appointments for the rest of the week, and making sales calls. I leave the office around 6-6:30 p.m., and head to the house to free Zack the WonderDog from the confines of the backyard. Then we grab something to eat, do some laundry, and if I’m lucky, I’ll spend time reading blogs. And every once in a while, writing something of content and purpose. If I'm really motivated, I'll post ahead a couple of days. Tuesdays look totally different, but that’ll save for another Q&A session, right?

(3) What would you recommend for non-hunters trying to learn about/appreciate the sport? Go with someone! Tag along. Observe the hunter, preparing, planning. A hunter is patience personified. Watch the dogs work – it is a fine dance, one that becomes a finely executed ballet when the hunter works with his dog. It's beautiful. Learn to shoot, and connect with times of old – when hunting was an absolute must, in order to live. Hunting gets you “out” – out in the open, sunshine, cold, whatever. Know that it’s a glorious thing to be outside, in the wild, with the wild, and watching a fine dog do his work to his best ability. Watch TV shows. Learn about whichever hunting sport most intrigues you, and go to it! There are classes and hunters all around you, I promise. They may be quiet, but they’re there. And almost every hunter I’ve know has an excellence about them…a love for wildlife, and for the cycle of life. You’ll see. And you’re welcome to go with me, anytime. Any of y’all are welcome to go. Just tell me you want to, and it’ll be A. Done. Deal.


(4) What do you love most about West Texas? Lord, girl. The sunsets. The people. The weather and its inherent insanity. The oilfield. The farmers. Stock shows and rodeos. Blue skies. Pumpjacks on the horizon. Oil rigs, lit up like Christmas trees, when I'm landing on the flight from anywhere at Midland International Airport. But mostly, it's the people I love. The people are great, no matter their race, religion, or gender. I love the “try” in people…they just will not give up, and they are bound and determined to make their way in this beautiful desert land that is the frontier of West Texas. I’m one of them. There are a million awesome things about West Texas. Balmorhea. Goldsmith. Ft. Davis. Alpine. Midland. Stanton. Big Spring. Odessa. Forsan. Kermit. Coahoma. Each of them has their own drawing points. Okay, enough about the towns. But wait, one more thing about the West Texas towns…the best thing is they are all great places to raise your children. How about the colleges? Did you know most every child that graduates in Midland/Odessa has the chance to go to college for free with a little community service? Are we blessed, or what? Back to what I love most about West Texas, I cannot forget Scenic Mountain in Big Spring…I have cried my heart out on that mountain. When I was younger, and lived there…and after I moved to Midland, I would drive over. And when I came to the Lord, cried out, screamed, ranted to Him many times on Scenic Mountain. And He heard my cries. And then, I worshipped. It’s a special place to me., and to many others, as well. Go pay your $2 and check it out. There’s something awesome about that State Park...

(5) What was your motivation for starting this blog? I read blogs for about a year. And commented. Before that, I wrote stories about my life experiences, i.e., vacations with the boys, a work experience, something that happened with my mom, and would send these stories via e-mail to my customers. They loved them! They encouraged me to write, to try to publish. And though I’ve not yet gone that far, I won’t forget my first try at blogging. I loved, and love, the comraderie and friends I’ve made through blogging. If I were to stop writing tomorrow, I’d still stay in touch with my blog buddies. You and they are all part of my family now, if that makes any sense. So, in essence, I started for myself – but I stay, because of y’all.

Hope you enjoyed that. If anyone else has any questions, please feel free to contact me. Like I said before, "I ain'ta skeered!" You may be bored to death, but I'll try to answer.

32 comments:

Joanie said...

You know, Janie, I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about their home (state, city, country, what have you) with as much love as you just did. That was just beautiful.

Sandi said...

Well, I am sitting here having a good cry at the mere mention of Big Spring.

My parents did their time at the base and packed us up and moved back home to Utah by the time I was two. But there is something about that town that calls me!

My parents took me back to visit at fifteen. I sat on that "mountain" and laughed till I hurt that they thought it was a mountain. I went a saw my old house and we even knocked on the door and they let us in and we walked around. How nice is that? Who lets total strangers in their home to wander around and cry in a tissue? Only people in Big Spring that's who.

We went to midland/odesa where I learned that was the big city. We went to Abilene and saw the zoo.
I LOVE WEST TEXAS! My mom called a few months ago and made me buy the George Straight song because Big Spring was mentioned in it! We both laughed and cried! YES, I am a boob!

Okay, new subject, email me sometime, We are looking to buy a used refinery to disassemble and ship to Ghana. Do you have any contacts?

♥ Braja said...

You're scarin' me with all that activity you do in a "normal day." Enough caffeine already.... :))

अविनाश said...

That was good reading Janie
Regards

That Janie Girl said...

Joanie - we bloom where we're planted, and there's a lot of beauty in the stark reality of this oilfield.

Sandi - girl. Next time you're out here, you'd better call me so we can get together. I'll show you things you probably never knew existed! And yeah, it's not a mountain...but it was to me!

Braja - no caffeine, except for the occasional Tazo Chai from Starbucks. I'm a water girl!!

That Janie Girl said...

Avinash - high praise, from one such as you! Thanks so much.

Unknown said...

All that in just ONE Monday. Wow! Please tell me you have the rest of the week off LOL. Love that you have a car wash boy. That in itself would make it so worthwhile.

That Janie Girl said...

MegRyan'sMom - I wish Monday was the only day I worked!! Arrrrrgh!! That would be sweet, me hardys!

Anonymous said...

This is enlightening! Thanks for sharing so much more about you!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

That Janie Girl said...

Di - my life is an open book.

(yeah, right!)

Belle said...

I'm packing my bags and moving to Texas!

Anonymous said...

Great answers - I think it's great you found a job and a location that you love.

I also love your answer about blogging - I love it.

La Belette Rouge said...

You make me wish I had seen more of Texas when I lived there( Austin).My He-weasel used to be an oil trader and so he talks about oil a lot even though he hasn't done it for years. I think it gets in your blood somehow. Hard to understand for those who haven't worked in it,I would imagine.

Snooty Primadona said...

I think you pretty much covered everything about the Permian Basin. Way to go girl!

I have a bad sinus infection, so no wit today. It's really all I can do to walk straight....

Unknown said...

That was an awesome q&a!
everyone is so interesting!

Laura said...

You are truly amazing. Thank you so much for sharing with us and letting me in to your daily life. You have such an interesting career so we are all lucky to be able to ask you questions. :)

Jennifer and Sandi said...

GOT THE TOYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

She loves them thank you so much. She attempted to tear apart the bone right away. I had to take it away from her. I'm sure she would have found the center in another 30 mins. We'll use it when we take her to the off leash park instead. WAY TOO NICE for a chew toy!

YOU ROCK!!
Love,
Jennifer

That Janie Girl said...

Belle - c'mon over that water, girl!

K - it is pretty neat. Neater when commodity prices are through the roof, but always a cool job.

Belette - oil definitely gets in your blood. I'm sure that Austin does, too (ask the MidLife Gals!)

Snooty - feel better, chica!

Georgie - all these bloggers are way interesting, aren't they?

Laura - Wow! I don't view myself as interesting, but thank you very much!

Jennifer - give that toy back to that baby! It's supposed to be indestructible. And Lord knows Zanna tried...and failed.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

I've given the toy back to Luna.
6pm CST Tuesday!

God help us! I'll keep you posted on the destruction progress!!

Go Oilfields and hunting pups!

- Jennifer

Coachdad said...

When I was in college, my Mom moved to a small town in Texas called Proctor. It had this wonderful lake that she lived right on. The sun rises and sunsetes were incredible. Great interview!

scotte said...

Janie,
That was wayy cool. You got it all covered. This is the land of Big Sky, Big Hearts, Big Egos, Big Hair, Big Deals, and of course Big Spring.
Love ya always

Pearl said...

Good read, Janie!
Pearl

Wunderwoman said...

I wondered what you do, now I know you run circles around me:)

I hope to visit your state someday, thanks for all the info

Anonymous said...

I could have sworn I left a comment earlier today but apparently I didn't. It's the thought that counts, right? No? Oh, that's just at Christmas?? dang.

Don't forget you've got a place to crash if you want to stay after the shower this weekend. :) It will just be me and my long time bestest friend from birth here and we're fun.

bernthis said...

I am looking to change careers and really hope to find something that I want to do as much as what I have done. I'm ready for a change that I know.....I think.

Unknown said...

That was really cool. I just learned so much about you in that one post!

Jill says you're comin' in for the dinner! I'm so excited to meet you! YAY! : )

Marlos ACE said...

I did enjoy that, not bored at all! latoya the sequoia, love it! I have 4 kids, man I need to West Texas!!!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

I posted about the toy you sent Luna!!! Thanks woman!

- Jennifer

Vodka Mom said...

Wait, did you saw you weren't squewered???? Like a sheesh kabob????

damn, now I'm hungry...

Anonymous said...

Is it too late for me to graduate in west Texas? I wanna go to college! I've been too busy sending my 2 kids! (they both graduated and are on their OWN!)

Junosmom said...

Did you know you can make a living hunting? My bil is Joe Thomas and he makes his living entirely from fishing and hunting. Aside from tournaments, he does TV shows on ESPN2 and the Outdoor Channels and teaches seminars. If you ever tire of the oilfields, maybe you could be his female counterpart on the TV.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great answers! You speak so highly of West Texas..it almost makes me want to visit. You should do tourism ads!
I always enjoy your blog:)