Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today is my 1 year anniversary at my new job. It’s been quite a year. Lots of up, and then more recently, a down.


I’m flying to Denver right now, and tried to catch up on writing a little. As I was going through my files, I found my job offers from my present company. And I started laughing.

When this company offered me a job, I turned it down flat. They came back, offered again. (They had been talking to me for some months.) Finally, on the third offer, I decided to accept. And, then I realized…they had not converted the offer to a pdf file.

I could not resist. You guessed it…I jacked with the offer. To a huge degree of excess. I added several zeros onto every figure, and upped my vacation to 25 weeks a year, added some other perks. I signed the offer, converted it to a pdf, and sent it to my boss, with a quick e-mail: “Here it is finally! Glad we agreed and I look forward to working with you. Please forward to HR asap for processing so I might give notice.”

He did.

The next day, HR called him. And he called me.

Janie, I think we may have made a mistake on the offer letter.

Seriously? Want to retract it? I’m good with that.

No! We want you to go to work with us, but I think HR messed up when they typed it up..there are some typos. HR called me and they’re all upset.

I think he was having a heart attack. I had to confess.

Dude. It’s a rule, though most likely unwritten. Documents such as that need to be in read only form or pdf form so people can’t change them.

He cracked up. HR thought it was funny. The partners of the company found it hilarious.

The firm now pdf’s…everything.

23 comments:

Tardevil said...

I bet they have their hands full with you! Too bad you didn't get away with 25 weeks of vacation. Who wouldn't want a job like that? Be safe in your travels.

Belle said...

What a pity they spotted the mistake!

Pam said...

Happy anniversary! You are waaay too computer savvy. Glad they all had senses of humor and realized what a jewel they had in you. Hope to see you soon.

Pam said...

Happy anniversary! You are waaay too computer savvy. Glad they all had senses of humor and realized what a jewel they had in you. Hope to see you soon.

Julie D said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Sunny said...

Congrats!
Hey, you taught your firm a lesson. That's super cool!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Hahhahhaa that's pretty funny! Software these days! THANKS FOR THE PUP toy!!...Luna can't wait. It's so awesome maybe I won't let her play with it. A show piece. I'll make a shelf for her. Look Luna - that cool toy Janie sent you that you must never touch!

Kidding! Can't wait!

Love
Jennifer

Joanie said...

Happy Anniversary!

Yesterday was my 6th anniverary with the company I work for.

Vodka Mom said...

you really DO keep them on their toes - and laughing as well, I'm sure. Isn't that the best way to live life???

Anonymous said...

You sneaky devil, you! That was some stunt. Hilarious!

It didn't take long for them to learn what they were getting into.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Janie! I have worked for the Postal Service 20 years now--they have just cut all the clerks in our office back to 20 hours a week. We are supposed to be grateful we still have a job, (and I am), but I still can't help feeling a bit POSTAL!
I have worked every Saturday for 20 years........
I'm thinkin (bailout)HAHAHA

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you! Hope you are still enjoying the job as much as on day one.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

jill jill bo bill said...

Danm the bad luck. I was really looking forward to our month long cruise to Italy. You did include me in that last letter, right?

♥ Braja said...

You minx.

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest thing I have read all week!

nikkicrumpet said...

Very funny story....I bet they are glad to have you working for THEM and not the competition!!!

MaricrisG said...

They should give you a salary increase for pointing out the obvious! lol!

Wunderwoman said...

that is too funny, I would have never had the guts to do that, I envy you;)

TexasRed said...

Hilarious! Looks like they were warned early that you could be a trouble-maker ;)

Junosmom said...

Congrats, and good lesson for the company.

Stu Pidasso said...

That is too funny! Proof-reading is the task most likely to fall by the wayside in my experiences with most companies. Keeping them on their toes is a job function that none of us have on our "official" job description, but we should all strive to keep the boss man honest. I'll bet a few of them about had a coronary when they read that signed agreement!! You go, Janie Girl!!

Anonymous said...

You're a stinker, for sure. I'll bet you keep everyone smiling. Keep up the good work. :)

lisa said...

Congrats Janie, I know what an accomplishment this is for this company LOL. Hope you have 20 more years of success and good humor with your company!!