Wednesday, February 11, 2009

And Emily Post Turns Over In Her Grave

Saturday night I went to eat with family friends. These friends have two adorable children, a girl age 7(I’ll call her Belle) and a boy age 1 ½(I’ll call him Crash). These kids are seriously funny. Belle is elegant, prissy, but not afraid to get dirty, already a heck of a hunter as well as a serious basketball player. Crash is all boy, but flirty and funny, too. Both kiddos are sweet, smart as whips and function well around adults.

We’re through eating, visiting, and all of a sudden, Crash sits up straight in his high chair. He has this look of surprise on his face, says something (we’re not sure what) and points to his bottom. We laugh, and so does Crash.

Mom: Hey, Crash. Need to go to the bathroom?

Crash shakes his head no, and goes on playing, sticking a chopstick into one of those square pretzels, then popping the pretzel into his mouth. He’s pretty dang good at it.

The conversation quickly morphs to how loud Crash’s burps are. Belle is avidly describing just how gross her little brother can get, all the while laughing. She laughs so hard, we all laugh. And then we hear it. And it is LOUD. And LOOOOOONG.

“Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!”

Mom, Dad, and I all turn to look at Crash, who looks at us, like, “What?”. And then, it hits us. That sound emanated from Belle.

We look at Belle, and she’s got this surprised look on her elegant little face, but is half smiling, too. Mom and I look at each other, and start that silent shaking laughter, you know, the kind that is so strong, it hurts? Tears are flowing down our faces. Belle starts laughing, Dad starts laughing, and finally, Crash decides he’ll join in, too.

Lord. You can’t pay for entertainment like this.

15 comments:

♥ Braja said...

Kid farts? You mean you can't buy 'em? I'll bet you can....

;)

thisisme said...

I can see it, and hear it. And I'm laughing

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Hey thisisme.....I can smell it too!!

Priceless. You just can't make this kind of crappola up now can you?? Love this story!!

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Michelle said...

Great funny story!!! Janie, i love your writing.

Kids are priceless and they laugh at themselves which is what we should all learn to do!!!

HAPPY HUMP DAY!!!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Janie -- Love your descriptions of the kids -- I can just see them! And I loved your post about your son. I only had daughters but one of those daughters has a son now and your post shows me the priceless treasure that a mother-son bond can be. Thank you.

Unknown said...

LOL...yep kiddos are best form of entertainment

Marlos ACE said...

Love that, kids are awesome :)

jill jill bo bill said...

Farts are always funny, I don't care who you are!!!!

Anonymous said...

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. :)

Anonymous said...

I can hear the kids giggling over this... kids love it when they fart or burp... it's definitely cheap entertainment for the entire family.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Valerie said...

lol Funny!

Pearl said...

Sounds like something my boy would do -- and he's 24 now!
Pearl

Junosmom said...

I love that contagious laughter that brings you to tears. Feels so good after. Better than a shot of whiskey. Well, almost.

Jenni said...

Those are the BEST moments! You made me giggle, too!

Belle said...

Belle? Lovely name...