Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One Score And Eight Years Ago


These pix are posted just to assist in setting the tone for this most serious post.  (Not really.  They're meant to go towards the end of the post, but this.damn.Macbook.  Arrrrrgh.)  Okay, back to these pix.  Elder Son. Christmas.  Playing with knives (and scabbards.  I know.).   It's all show, the blowhard. He's about the farthest thing from a gangsta you can get.  (Now, wait.  He's not gay or anything.) (Not to offend any gay gangstas...chill.) Hell. Let's just read on.




Twenty-eight years ago today, just past midnight, I was the most excited mom in the world – you had just been born. My son. My long-awaited firstborn. I knew your name years before you drew your first breath of air.

We’ve been through much together - love, heartbreak, excitement, and more! I’ve been your mother, your comforter, your playmate, your encourager, and your biggest fan. You’ve been my son, my comforter, my playmate, my encourager, and my biggest fan.

You are one of the funniest people I know – you’re a born entertainer, and people far and wide love you. You make friends easily, from all walks of life, and keep them forever. You’re quick-witted, and fun-loving. You have a heart of gold.

I have enjoyed watching you over the years as you mastered the art of showing dogs, goats, whatever would go into that show ring at the end of a rope. And then, finally, you were old enough to show steers – and went on to win shows all over the nation. (Remember when ThatManILove first saw your awards? He said, “Well. The Ego has landed.”) Now that you’ve grown past stock showing age, you’re passing on your skills to your little half sisters. I love that about you, and I love how those beautiful baby girls love you right back. I remember from age 1 1 /2 how you loved to dress as a rodeo clown, and won many a rodeo clown contest. They were always putting your photos in the paper.I remember when we were on the youth promotions committee at the rodeo and I looked for you and couldn't find you.  When I found you, you were down on your knees, a 6' tall 14 year old, teaching 3 little kids how to do the macarena, just to keep them occupied until it was their time to participate. I love how you love hunting, shooting, roping, dancing, wakeboarding, snow skiing, and a million other things. I love watching you play the guitar, and playing alongside Younger Son and ThatManILove. I love how you love Younger Son and That Man I Love. I love it when you play and sing one of your songs, and they join in, and vice versa. I love how music makes your world go round.

Remember when you were a senior, and you took me dove hunting, and we were on the mule, waiting for flybys by the flowline? And we turned around, there were about 50 dove on the ground, drinking water, within 5 feet of us? We got tickled, gave up, went back to the house and got the coyote hunting equipment (including the tape of those squealing rabbits?).

I love when we go on vacation that you’re content to chill with us with zero agenda but to all be together. I love that music flows through our family and is one of the ties that bind. I love how the four of us attend concerts together. I know the time we spend together is something precious; rest assured I never take it lightly.

I loved watching you at Christmas when you opened your annual trick package, saw how it was Mac software, and could say nothing but “Sh*t! Sh*t! Oh, Sh*t!”, knowing the MacBook had to be the next present. (It’s cool to see that no matter how old you get, you have never lost the ability to get excited. ) Then, when it’s “KnifeTime” and we break out the annual gift of knives to you and Younger Son, you immediately discern the hours of workmanship and excellence that someone put into making that knife. It’s a work of art, and you recognize and appreciate the art. Then, we get a different, more reverent type of “Oh, Sh*t!”

When ThatManILove and I got married, you were traveling all over Kingdom Come, rodeoing. When you got into town, you had horses and a underage girlfriend in tow...and due to circumstances beyond all of our control, combined with inclement weather, y'all ended up going on our honeymoon with us? And you and ThatManILove ended up staying at the Stockyards in your truck with the horses nearby in pens, while your girlfriend and I occupied the honeymoon suite? Yes. Just so you don't forget - I postponed my honeymoon for you, doofus. I love you.


You and I often trade high scores at the shooting range, but I suspect you let me win. (But if I find out that’s the truth, I will hurt you. Remember, I brought you into this world, I can certainly take you out.) I remember one time you said, when we were at a range, “Mom. This sucks. They have all these father-son shooting events…why don’t they have a mother-son shoot? You and I could so rock that!” The range owner has never forgotten that comment, and always brings it up. Each time, I’m reminded how blessed I am and how much I love you.

In more recent years, I’ve seen you gain much maturity. (I knew it would happen sometime!)

I can’t believe the years have passed and you’re nearing thirty years of age. I should be feeling old, but instead, I’m expectant and my heart soars when I think of you. I know this is only the beginning of your life, and there is more to come. If it’s anything like your past, it should prove to be good entertainment. I’m still as excited for you and your future as the day you were born. It has been my good fortune to come to know you, and I know it. Thank you for that.


Happy Birthday, Elder Son. I love you more!

30 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

that was an incredible love letter to your boy. Honestly, I had tears.


May the road you travel ahead together be much, much longer than the one you have behind you......

Belle said...

That was totally and utterley beautiful.

♥ Braja said...

And he's got you for a mum, on top of all that??! Lucky boy....

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

What a beautiful tribute to your son!!

Now, THAT post is an inspiration!!

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Michelle said...

Janie this is a gorgeous post for your son's BD!!!

Really nice Janie!!!

AND, well your son he's not hard on the eyes!!! If you know what i mean!!!!

Happy TUESDAY!!!

Ann Imig said...

He is gorgeous and you have obviously done a fantastic job, Janie. What a beautiful tribute. I need to get my head out of my ass and write my letter to 2-year-old, now 2 months late.

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Elder Son. It's so obvious how much your moher loves you.... to the moon and back.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Stu Pidasso said...

This is why mom's rock!! And a gay gangsta!!! HAhahahahahaha!! Who'd a thunk it.

But seriously, that is one good looking young man, with a great mom at his beck and call. Good job Janie, and Happy Birthday young man!!

Joanie said...

Oh Janie! That was beautful! I'm all verklempt! I may just steal this idea next month when my son turns 21 on St. Patrick's Day.

Unknown said...

Okay dangit janie you got me all up in tears! What a beautiful post
Happy Birthday elder son!

Debz said...

Great post! Happy Birthday to your Elder Son.
Is it safe to say that he's um, hot? I'm not a cougar, promise. But he is one fine looking man.

Anonymous said...

Janie, is he ever gonna slow down long enough to record? The dude can SING! Happy Birthday! What a compliment to your son - W.O.W.
Cherie

Pam said...

Dang it, I hate crying first thing in the morning! Beautifuly tribute to a wonderful young man. Happy birthday ES!

Pam said...

I really meant beautiful tribute.

La Belette Rouge said...

What an incredibly touching post. Happy birthday to your eldest son!

Anonymous said...

That was really a touching letter to a very beautiful (inside and out) son. Woman, just when I think the parallel of our lives has ended you bring up stock shows and knife collections and I reverently want to say "oh sh*t there's more". My oldest has been collecting knives since he was big enough to hold one and he gets a special one every Christmas and birthday and I spent many a day and night surrounded by stinky bawling animals at stock shows all over the country. *sigh* Now I want to go cry because I miss my babies being little boys and girls. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Canarella said...

Sweet tribute to your boy to man....And a bit of a good looker if I do say so...ya did good Janie....God Bless

Marlos ACE said...

That was such an awesome post! What a wonderful mom, you are!!

Spammy said...

We haven't met yet, Janie. But, I love your blog. You've raised a fine young man (awesome picker & singer, great with kids, damn good DNA!). I lovingly refer to him as "that hairy-legged boy" who stole my baby girl. I'm learning to let go, but you know how hard it is when you've been the M-O-M for soooo long! Your tribute made me cry...we have such great kids!

Emily's Mama

Alpacamountain said...

Awe, you almost made my cry. What a lucky kid to have you for the MOM.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. My own little man will be 2 soon. I can't imagine he'll be a grown man soon, but I know it will happen. Crazy.

Gwynne said...

What can I say that hasn't been said already? You rock, Janie! Your love for your son and your shared experiences move me to tears. And I'm at the library. Darn you!! :-)

Jane! said...

Sounds like a fun kid, besides a handsome one!
Happy Birthday to him and congrats to you - you done good!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Well said!

Wunderwoman said...

Aww..that is so neat, I'm sure all us mom's would love to be able to write a letter like this to our sons!

Tiffany said...

Aww that was so sweet. And that's a goodlooking son you've got there.

Valerie said...

Janie that was beautiful! A wonderful and loving post.

I must tell you though that when I first seen the title I thought it said "One Score and Eight Acres Ago". I was thinking what the heck - and yes I have my glasses on.

thisisme said...

Happy birthday ES. Janie, that was just beautiful. And I have to agree with everyone else - he is very easy on the eyes.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful letter to your firstborn. He's a very handsome young man. Happy Birthday!

Junosmom said...

What a poignant tribute! Happy birthday to you both! (since you did all the work, it's your day, too!)