Monday, February 5, 2007

The Perfect(ly stupid) Response

Last week was absolutely crazy. Returned from Denver late Wednesday night, rose at 5 a.m. for a small breakfast meeting at 6:15 a.m. with a customer and another coworker. Left there for another meeting in the morning, a new technology lunch and learn at the Petroleum Club, then back to the office for more meetings. I am tired – and my day is not yet finished. Around 8:30 p.m. (still in a meeting, BTW) my phone rings…it is a co-worker, asking for a 6:45 a.m. breakfast commitment - a VP is in town and wants to meet me.

My (tired, and yet, beautifully inane) response to such a request?

“What for?”

I could give you a million excuses, yet I think I’ll just tell you the joke I coined immediately after accepting the breakfast engagement and hanging my head in shame for my lack of utter professionalism…

#9 of Top 10 things NOT to say when the VP of your company calls to invite you to a breakfast meeting:

“What for?”

The breakfast meeting was absolutely delightful.

No comments: