Tuesday, August 12, 2008

In Memoriam - Zoie The Wonder Pup

“You've given your heart for a dog to tear.”
–Rudyard Kipling, The Power of The Dog Zoie The Wonder Pup - 9/2007 - 8/2008


We lost our precious, curious, crazy, makeuslaughtilwecried with her antics, Zoie the Wonder Pup around 7:20 a.m. Tuesday morning. She would have been a year old in September.

Zack and Zoie and I walked their Auntie Suzan out to her car, and when I was loading Suzan’s suitcase into her truck, Zoie hopped up in the back of the Suburban. I made her get down, and gave Suzan a hug and told her bye. In that one split second Zoie must have rounded the truck, immediately run into the street before I could stop her and was hit by a pickup. She died almost instantly.

Unbeknownst to me, a man was walking his dog down the opposite side of the street. I always look for walkers and runners before I let the dogs out, but somehow, I missed this man and his gentle dog. (I hope y’all are okay.) The little Zoie-monga didn’t miss a thing, however. I never saw Zoie dart under our truck to go say hi to them, but I heard the hit, and heard Suzan scream. It happened that quickly.

And our sweet, sweet Zoie was gone.

To the sweet beautiful young lady driving the truck , I want to say to you…no way, no how, was this your fault. There is no possible way you could have seen Zoie. Thank you so much for stopping, and caring. Please feel free to contact me – I’d love to talk to you and make sure you’re okay. I need to let you know some things, so here are some of them:

We always laughed at Zoie, her curiosity, her fearlessness. She could have run for mayor, she was such a political machine. In reality, though, this was also our only fear concerning Zoie – that she was so curious, she would see something and dart. Dart away from obedience, dart into the path of something, and be injured or killed. Zoie was a loving dog who was eager to please, in every area but this one. And in this one area, she was so hard headed. Just last Friday, she was disciplined for running across the street after a squirrel. Vehicles were nothing more to her than transportation to go hunting. Much as we tried, she never got it into her head that vehicles were dangerous things. I was in the wrong this morning, to have had Zoie off leash, and it cost us her life.

Zoie had a great, though short, life. Upon entering our lives, she calculatingly captivated (within one week!) her playmate and big brother, Zack the Wonder Dog, whom she loved and tortured endlessly – and he always calmly and lovingly endured her biting and wrestling (MLH always said Zack was looking towards the future.) Zoie had finished her (puppy) hunter training with flying colors at eight months of age, and had a great nose and a hard point. We had great expectations of fun hunting with her this season. Zoie had just experienced her first De-Snaking Clinic this last Saturday, where we saw her curiosity in full swing, much to our dismay. She was a loved member of our family, and quickly snagged the hearts of our friends.


Just this morning about 4 a.m., Zoie and Zack snuck up into our bed, burrowed under the comforter and slept until 6 a.m. with us. And the entire time I made smoothies and visited with their Auntie Suzan this morning, Zoie and Zack wrestled and played at our feet. Zoie brought the tennis ball to me, and I threw it for her. At one point, she laid down at my feet under the table, and I thought, “Oh, you thing, I remember when you were a baby, and you’d lay down like that, next to Zack, and for that first week, he would ignore you and even growl.” Here’s a look back over the past year.

Week One:Week Two: May 31, 2008

She was a lover-girl kind of dog that we initially purchased as a companion for Zack. The wee thing snuck into our hearts when we weren’t even looking. We will miss you greatly, Little Miss Zoie the Wonder Pup.

Hunt ‘em up, girlfriend. Hunt ‘em up.

46 comments:

Pam said...

Oh Janie, what can I say? I am so sorry for your loss. Miss Zoie was such a fun puppy. She will be missed by her Nana Pam. Know we are praying for you all at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. We lost our beloved girl dog to a blood clot recently. The pain is so hard to bear, but I promise you it does get better. Zoie will never be forgotten. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family, as well as the poor girl involved.

beth said...

Oh Janie. I'm so sorry.

That Janie Girl said...

Pam, Anonymous, Beth - thanks so much for your kinds words and prayers. We'll miss seeing paper shredded, and underwear strewn all over the house. And we'll miss the way she would crawl up on your chest and look you eye to eye...for hours.

Or at least until she fell asleep.

Anonymous said...

I cant read this post...
sorry, its a really sad news...
:.(

That Janie Girl said...

Hobo - thanks so much for your kind words. Zoie lived her life full blast and she would want you to be happy!! So, be happy!

thisisme said...

Oh Janie, I'm so, so sorry. I've loved reading all your posts about Zoie - you always captured her strong personality and gave me a smile. My thoughts are with you, your family and the girl involved.

Anonymous said...

So very sorry, my friend. Losing a dog is like losing a best bud. Sincerest sympathies ... thanks for bringing her to the blogging event and sharing the wonderment she had. She was full of pizazz and spunk and i am sorry for your loss.
jp

That Janie Girl said...

Thisisme - I smiled when I read your words. Thanks. Strong personality is right, but man, we miss her!

Jimmy - thanks so much, friend. And thanks for letting her be a part of Blogging For Fair Havens. She led a full, though short, life, didn't she?

Rae said...

Aww Janie...I feel your pain. She was a beautiful pup! Y'all will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Rach.

That Janie Girl said...

Rach, thanks so much. We really appreciate your prayers!

Anonymous said...

Oh no. No! NO!

I'm so sorry. I don't think I can type any more, but I bid you a sad welcome into this fellowship of those who have lost dogs this way.

That Janie Girl said...

Jim,

Thanks so much. Yeah, it does suck. But God...He knows how we hurt...and He did not let her suffer.

And I'm thankful for that, as well as the time she graced our lives.

Lone Chatelaine said...

Ohmygod, Janie. No...

I'm so sorry. This breaks my heart, sweetie. *hugs you tight*

I hate this :-(

Anonymous said...

This is Geoffrey and I am so sorry about Zoie. I am very sad that she died this way. :(

I remember Zoie pouncing and licking me. It would make me laugh! she was so silly.

love you both

Roan said...

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how painful it must be to say goodbye to Miss Zoie. She was a beautiful pup. You are in my thoughts.

Eric Siegmund said...

We're both so very sorry to hear about poor Zoie. You guys are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't read it all...............she was my grandpup.......
Pepsi knows..she feels it through me
so so so sorry...........

Willy said...

Almost like loosing a child!

10-4 Willy

That Janie Girl said...

Chatelaine - hugs are accepted.

Geoffrey - hey, sweet boy. Zoie loved you lots, you know that, don't you? She loved her some Geoffrey, she did! And Garyt and Dionne, too. Let them know, will you? And we'll see you soon, little man. We love you and miss you.

B.Roan - thanks so much for your kind words. I don't think we'll say goodbye to her, I hadn't even entertained the idea until you wrote it. I think we'll choose to let her live on in our hearts. I'm so glad I chronicled her life in pictures.

Eric - thanks to you and YLB. We appreciate your prayers. Give Abbye hugs from us!

Terri - thanks so much. I know you loved Zoie in your own right, and yes, you were her grandma. We wouldn't have even met her without you!! And we were so blessed by her. Thank you.

Willy - thanks for dropping by, and for caring. God bless.

catd264 said...

I'm so sorry. First Zack gets sick then this. I'm just so very very sorry and my heart is so heavy. Our Dogs are like are kids. I'm just in a state of shock I think.

That Janie Girl said...

Cat - I'm with ya, chica. We're pretty shocky ourselves. At least she's not hurting. I take solace in that.

Pancho said...

It's the saddest feeling in the world and each and every dog we have will be with us forever.

That Janie Girl said...

Wallace - I cried when you lost your beloved Tres. I'm glad we've had our dogs in our lives. Wouldn't take for that time.

jill jill bo bill said...

Hey Janie, I saw on IM's comments that you were a fellow Texun and wanted to stop by and say hello. As usual, my timing stinks and I am just jumping in here with both size 6.5 feet.
I am so so sorry for your loss. We also lost a dog to a car last year and I still to this day miss him. I am very impressed with your strength and ability to think about all the great things about Z. Thank you for sharing. Come visit anytime.

That Janie Girl said...

Jill, welcome! I'll drop by often, I'm sure.

Thanks for your comments on the Zoie-pup. We'll miss her, definitely. I can't believe she's not snuggled up to me this morning in the bed.

Craziness.

As to "strength", I think I was still in shock yesterday when I wrote the post.

Doozie said...

Ok, that really sucks.

That Janie Girl said...

I know girl, it does. It's really hitting me today. I think yesterday I was in a daze.

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Tears are falling as I write this. It's been a year since I lost my beloved Adonis and I still cry every single time I see his photo or think of him.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends, so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver, she breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together …

Karen Townsend said...

I'm wiping away tears as I try to type. I'm so sorry.

Lynellen said...

Janie, hugs. Our families can weep together.

GymBrat said...

so sorry about this janie. with two beloved danes- i can sympathize with you and the craziness of treating them as our furry children. :) hope your heart mends in time.....love,mel

That Janie Girl said...

Gretchen, thanks so much for writing that. Maybe Adonis and Zoie have met! ;)

"All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by."

I needed to read that again.

Thank you.

That Janie Girl said...

Karen - thank you. I know you know how dogs are a part of your family.

Lynellen - somehow I missed that y'all had lost Duke. I hate that. I'll be praying for y'all and your dad.

Mel - thanks, girl. Brody and Ty are upset, as well, we do consider our dogs family. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Well - crap. Zoie was one determined young lady with lots of zest from the get-go. No wonder it seemed extra quiet at the house yesterday - we had no idea.....so very sad for you & us!!! Cherie.

Bob Westbrook said...

Ohhh, We wondered where Zoie was when I stopped to clean your yard yesterday. I always looked forward to doing that so I could let her and Zack out of the kennel and play. Zoie was the lover covering my face with kisses till I needed a towel. Our hearts break with yours. Poor Zack will be lonely too. I want to give you a big hug to comfort, I...there's no words for it.

i beati said...

You are so very brave . I cannot stand this - crying my eyes out and I wish you some peace. I know memories are at every corner. I cannot say the names of my cats that died this year . You are sooo soo brave. I know you gave her such quality .My heart is with you ..sandy

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

:(

Anonymous said...

What a heart breaking story, and what a loss for you. I'm so sorry for you, but it has to be comforting to see these comments and know so many people feel the pain with you.

Gwynne said...

Oh, Janie. I've been offline too long! I'm so, so sorry. I can't believe I'm reading this. My prayers go out to you and your family. Zoie was such a precious sweetie. *tears and hugs*

Jackie said...

Janie:

What can be said that hasn't already been said? I am so sorry...

"Sometimes she sits at your feet looking into your
face with an expression so gentle and caressing that
the depth of her gaze startles you. Who can believe
that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!"~~ Theophile Gautier

That Janie Girl said...

Cherie, Bob - Zoie loved y'all. Thanks for all the love you showered upon her.

Sandy - brave, I'm not. I've been the biggest wenie.

Chris - thanks.

George - it has been very comforting to know so many people cared.

Gwynne - thanks, girl, for your kind comments. Hope Spartacus is thriving and growing!

In_Spired - thanks so much for your thoughts, prayers, and that cool verse. I agree.

spookyrach said...

Janie -

Sorry to be so late with this, but wanted to add my condolences to the rest. I feel for you.

rach

Cowtown Pattie said...

Me, too, a little late, but I wanted to let you know that I am so sorry to hear about Zoie.

We are dog lovers deluxe, and I can't imagine the heartbreak of losing a dog in such circumstances.

Give Zack an extra biscuit for me tonight. I bet he is missing her, too.

Foo said...

Janie, I'm sorry to hear you've lost your beloved Zoie.

Foo said...

Janie, I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your Zoie.