Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

It’s been a poignant yet happy week, this last week of work on my old job. When you work around people for ten years, they become a family of sorts, and their personalities range the gamut. You have friends you can count on – those that will chase sleep for you – and you have those step-siblings that might be ( you never can be sure!) craving your inheritance. And then, there are those that fall somewhere in between. And sick as it might be, I pretty much love all of them. We make up a pretty twisted family, we do. It’s been hard to think about leaving all of them and starting anew.

One of my coworkers came alongside me yesterday, put his arm around me, and told me how much he appreciated what I had done for our company, and told me how much he would miss me. I very nearly broke down in tears. This man happens to be one of the few stars in my world -- the humble, elegant man who achieves much. He’s a man of integrity and character, and he is inherently funny. He speaks his mind, and almost 100% of the time, he’s right on the money. When customers would ask me if I knew him, I would say, “Oh, man, he’s my hero! I want to be him when I grow up – but I want to keep my hair!” And I was serious, about wanting to be him! He’s amazing. He has more knowledge in his little fingernail than most of us will ever have about this old oilpatch and the people who work and live here.

I heard today that in yesterday’s sales meeting that this same man stood up, and said, “Before she leaves, each of you need to go by and thank Janie for her contributions to this company.” And my boss seconded his statements with some of his own. I couldn’t believe it…I was blown away. I was one of the first relationship-based saleswomen to be hired by this major service company. And most of my coworkers didn’t think I should be there, and gave me solid hell. It was never easy. I stayed the course, and slowly won them over. (Amazing what bringing in some major work will do to change people’s perception of you!)

Tonight, my boss took MLH and I to the Garlic Press, along with another coworker and his wife, to bid me farewell and good luck on my next post. We had a blast, telling stories about our work pasts and all our escapades. It was a very sweet thing for him to do – but he’s that kind of guy – excellent, of great character and integrity. He has an awesome sense of humor, which should be a requirement for bosses! (Life's too short to be too serious!) There was even a toast to my future. Amazing!! We all told stories, and laughed a lot. It was a great way to end the last 10 years. I’ll miss these guys, and hopefully I’ll still be able to see them on a regular basis.

My heart is breaking, yet exultant. And in all that, I’m exhausted. Who knew changing jobs would be this freakin’ traumatic? And I’m still two days from leaving.

Y’all pray for me – please???!!

10 comments:

thisisme said...

Janie, sounds like you've worked with some really classy people. Definitely relationships to keep. I'm praying for you to enjoy the next two days and keep your sanity.

Anonymous said...

oooh, I really have some catching up to do with you Janie. Prayers coming your way.

beth said...

Praying here!

I hope your transition in the new job is as lovely as the one away from the old. It does sound like you've been working with some real gems - that's awesome - and it probably makes leaving even harder, despite knowing it's what you need to do.

spookyrach said...

What a great story! I know what you mean about having a weird family of co-workers. Here's hoping your new job leads to some equally important relationships.

Pam said...

I know how hard it is to leave a place you love to work, but also know that when it is time to go, it is time to go. When the Lord says, "Go", it does make it some easier. The true relationships endure. Hoping your last day is dynamite. Looking forward to hearing all about your first day on the new job. Love to you and Steve.

That Janie Girl said...

Thisisme - they are definitely people of excellence. i will miss them. Thanks for the prayers.

Tracy - welcome back, girl - we've both been busy with changes, huh? Thanks for the prayers.

Beth - thanks, so much for your prayers. Gems, they are! And you're right, I know it's time to leave, but it's not easy.

Spooky - thanks, girl, for your thoughts and comments!

Pam - you so rock. Thanks for standing by us, faithfully. Love to you and Michael O....

Jackie said...

Loved this post! I've heard so many of your comments before, through the accountant daughter, starting out in a 'man's world'.

If you haven't read it in a while, read Isaiah 43:18-19, God admonishing Israel for dragging their feet (my words) to change. I always go back to that scripture when an issue of change arises.

Go gettum, Girl!!

That Janie Girl said...

Oh, In_spired, that one's gonna go on the blog. Hope you don't mind!

i beati said...

right on target ambivalent- grateful, hopeful blessed. Bonne Chance Janie

Rae said...

I'm glad they really treasure you! It's always good to feel valued and appreciated! You deserve it :).