Monday, June 28, 2010

Not The Talk! ANYTHING But The Talk!!!

This week, Little Brother Geoffrey and his real little brother are staying with me while their mom attends a teacher conference in Fort Worth.  So far, so good. 
I say that because kiddos in your house, especially those that aren’t yours, are a different animal entirely.  Your own kids are raised and on their own and are out and about.  The empty nest syndrome is really, after all, a relief.  And then all of a sudden, you have an 11 year old and a 14 year old for the week.  And you can't give them back to their mom when she's 5 hours away for a week.
This afternoon brought it all home for me, via a simple text message.  I’m heading to pick Geoffrey up from his summer gifted/talented program.
Geoffrey:  Guess who got a girlfriend.  BTW, the bus is about to leave (Odessa).
Me:  You better be on it, and aloooonnnnnneeeee.
Geoffrey:  Ohno I missed it......(then this long drill down of multiple spaces)....JK.
Geoffrey:  She lives in Odessa.  Yeah, and I don’t think they would allow that.
Then, a pause.
Geoffrey:  Are you almost here?
Me:  On the way.
Geoffrey:  Am I gonna get "the talk"?
Oh, Lordy, I lost it.
Me, to him: Not on your best day, son.  Not even on your best day.  Mebbe so.

He cracks me up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children reminds there is a child within each person which disappear with time.

Vodka Mom said...

THIS is why I work with the kids.

xxxxxxx

That Janie Girl said...

Hobo - so true.

VM - I know. And it's right you do so.

Pearl said...

:-) Nothing else. Just the smile.

:-)

Pearl

Joanie said...

Actually it's kinda cool that he must think of you as one of his moms, especially if he wondered if you were going to give hm "the talk".

Fragrant Liar said...

You are a kind and wonderful woman. And let me know if you make it through the talk without giggling.