Sunday, April 18, 2010

We May Be A Little Claustrophobic

Earlier this week, ThatManILove and I had a movie date.  We split salad and lasagna at at Pizzeria Venti, then headed to the movies.
We went to see "Date Night", the comedy with Steve Carell and Tina Fey.  The movie had probably been at our theatre 2 days, so we knew that most likely, the theatre would be crowded.
We were the first couple in the theatre, so for once, we sat in the middle of the second row from the top.  (We’re usually side seat aficionados.)  Our theatres are of decent size, for a mid-size Texas town, so there are plenty of seats.
We were early, and I was talking long distance to an old friend from North Carolina, and having a good time. ThatManILove was playing poker on his crackberry.  In about five minutes, a couple came and sat down on our row, about three seats down from me on my right.  And five minutes later, another couple came and sat the exact same distance from ThatManILove, on his left.
ThatManILove starts muttering.
Then, six people, who obviously go to the movies together all the time (I’ve seen them) came and sat...directly in front of us.
I’m still on the phone with my friend, and whispering the play by play to her.  She’s laughing hysterically, and I’m trying not to do the same.  ThatManILove is starting to steam.
People.  The entire theatre was empty.  No one was on the side seats, no one was seated in the lower section.  
The “Dancing Boxes” (what I call the previews) start, and I get off the phone.  But not before 4 people come and sit directly behind us.  I kid you not.
ThatManILove was grumbling.  I turned to him and asked him, “Did you order those special attractant pheremones from one of those funky 1-800 numbers or something?  Because these people are sticking to you like glue, baby.  Glue!”
So...to recap, we were instantly surrounded by 2+2+6+4 people.  The theatre didn’t fill up.  So, Including ThatManILove and myself, there were now 16 people in the theatre.  All smacking on their popcorn, kicking our seats, and talking amongst themselves.  Surrounding us.  In a theatre that probably seats at least 200 people.
And we were dead smack in the center of the top section of 12 seat rows, totally and irrevocably surrounded.  You just can’t get much closer than that.
I think we’ll repair to the side seats next time.


10 comments:

Foo said...

This is why it takes a very special movie event (read "Avatar 3-D") to get us into the theater. If you're amazed by the way you guys attracted the unwashed masses, then imagine our amazement when we're swarmed in the ADA seating. And they're typically so close to the screen that they're not even good seats!

We chose to spend some money on 5.1 surround sound, a flat screen TV, and a Netflix account. The popcorn's better/cheaper, I can drink beer if I want, and we don't miss critical bits of the plot when the beer has outlived its usefulness. Oh, and we get English subtitles when Mrs. can't understand heavy accents of one sort or another.

Miss Emily said...

I agree with Foo. We watch movies at home 99.9% of the time.

But that very same thing would happen to me and I'd be grumbling too. Never fails.

Although, in my town, it's usually the learning disabled adults from the nearby residence facility that come sit near us. I try not to analyze that too much.

i beati said...

hahahah pheremones huh ??haahah

Nic said...

I am so glad we are not the only ones that haapens to! What is wrong with people and personal space??? :)

Anonymous said...

Movies at home is our motto. Love paying less to watch a flick even if everyone else saw it six months ago.

DI
The Blue RIdge Gal

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Ohh.... makes me all twitchy just hearing about it!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Janie -- It must have been y'all's magnetic personalities that just drew these folks to you. Or maybe they thought that there's safety in numbers? Anyway, a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanne Estridge said...

It won't help--it's your magnetism.

That and a certain sheep-like quality that people have.

Joanie said...

I'm not sure how I'm missing your blog posts, but I haven't seen one in awhile. Now I'm playing catch up.

John likes to sit dead center at the movies. I like the end seats (probably from all those years being married to a very tall man). And I hate when we get crowded when the place is nearly empty! Why do people do that?

JennyMac said...

We have a 3 year old so we go to movies 1/1oth of what we used to. That being said my brother is coming to town this weekend and I only wish there was something really good out to see! He loves movies as much as I do.